0 muddy hands: turkish delight

Tuesday, December 13

turkish delight

turkish delight.
turkish delight.
more turkish delight.
my eldest son and I had been excitedly waiting for the debut of "The Chronicles of Narnia" with a countdown of days. We love to watch the old version of the movie, and just as we do with all our favorite movies, it is a must to take on characters and quote them throughout our days. My husband believes that we are quite cooky, but I am convinced that his life would be boring without our family drama team. hee..hee..hee.. I love the characters so much in this story, because they possess such great character. Lucy so valiant, Fawn so kind, Susan so gentle, Aslan so strong -- and so on. But the role that is so fun to act out is the white witch. I love to sternly yell - NARNIA - and watch my son bust out laughing or even yelling back. What fun. And for those of you who know the story, you know the spiritual undertones or symbolism that are in the story. I love the simplicity of the Gospel of Jesus. Even a child can understand his truth portrayed through a story about children and animals.
In the story, the white witch asks Edmund if he could have anything what would it be? His reply -- turkish delight. Tahdah. It is granted. Later in the story he is wanting more. Recently we were sent some turkish delight from Narnia and I must tell you that it is sickening sweet. But you do want more. Here's where I'm going ---- Isn't that how sin is in our lives? We get just a "little taste" and then we are back for more. Instead of craving the artificial sweetness of sin, why don't we crave more of the true bread of life? Why not feast on the true delight. His words are like honey to our lips. He satisfies like nothing else can. He never runs out. We don't have to ask for more -- we just have to show up and "sup" with him. He is more than we could ever need. Enjoy him. Delight yourself in him. The more you have of the "real thing", the less you want of the artificial substitute. There is no substitute for him. Nothing!!! Promise ya. Once you get a little bit of Jesus -- you will always come back for more. Take this thought with you -- what do you delight in? what brings you most joy, pleasure, or amusement? Oh my dear friend, yes, there are many good things to delight in, but if Jesus is not one of your first responses -- you do not know what real delight is. Spend time with him today. Open his holy word and you will "taste and see that the Lord is good". Then.... Sit still. Quiet. Reflective. Asking. Seeking. Listening. Praising. Reading. Singing. Thanking. Enjoying. Go - Find out who he is and why he is so delightful!!!!
***************************************************
I love your word. Your word is honey to my lips. Water to a parched soul. Comfort to the hurting. A healing balm for the sick and wounded. Your word is also the sharp knife that cuts away the cancer of sin. Cut me to the bone and marrow that I may be called your righteousness. Oh how I love your laws and precepts. May I be found delighting in your commandments. Your word captivates me and embraces my spirit. My desire is to enjoy you more and more. Draw me to you -- teach me to delight in you. May I dwell in your presence daily. Hourly. Minute-by-minute. Lord, I want more of you. Thank you for giving me my daily bread and even more. You alone are worthy of all my attention, affection and admiration.
**************************************************

Delight thyself also in the LORD;
and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Psalm 37:4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home