0 muddy hands: birthday preparations

Monday, December 5

birthday preparations

celebration. excitement. gifts.
cleaning. cleaning. cleaning.
I don't know about you, but when we have birthday parties around my house, we clean for days. We hang pictures, plant flowers, paint, and we also finish projects that started long before or needed to be started. In other words, I love to have parties because we "get stuff done".
My family is getting ready to celebrate a birthday together. We will be celebrating Jesus Christ's birthday. And once again, I told my family that we would not bring a Christmas tree into this house until we cleaned. Little did I know that the house cleaning that would take place would be in me. You see dear friend, my body is the temple of the Lord. He dwells in me. He has taken up residence in my heart. And He does not like a dirty, stinking vessel. He wants a clean heart and he loves to cleanse me. I realize my need for cleansing. I have even called the "funk" by name. He has just the solution and knows just how hard to scrub, rub and rinse.
In Psalm 51, the psalmist writes "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: Wash me , and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me hear joy and gladness. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation." Wow! Once we recognize that the "dwelling place is dirty", then we can allow the cleaning to begin. What a joy to know that when we are willing and able to call our sins by name, he is willing and able to forgive us and cleanse us. Once our spirit is clean, we really want to celebrate. As we approach this Christmas season and all the festivities that are involved, I pose this question to you, as well as myself. What needs to be cleaned out, finished, or started in our hearts? What will it take for you to enjoy yourself this year on Christ Jesus' birthday? Is there any jealousy, anger, greed, or pride that is keeping you from experiencing Christmas in the way that he intended you to? Is there anything at all in your "house" that stinks? If so, muster up the energy and get busy. We only have a few weeks left to get ready. Cleaning is not much fun, but the end result is dazzling. Birthday preparations are time consuming, but watching others receive their gift is so delightful. Give the best gift this year to someone. Give them Jesus. When we receive him --- life becomes a party!!
*******************************************
Oh Jesus, I have called upon you and you have answered. Thank you for searching me and showing me what needs to be cleansed. As I allow you to remove these things in my life, be patient with me. Sometimes the tearing and stripping away really hurts. I know that the end result is dazzling. Your love and forgiveness is beyond compare. Thank you for speaking to me so clearly. Your word says that if we seek you with all our heart, we will find you. I have found you. I have found where real life is. Keep me from sin. Heal my brokeness, but leave the cracks so that I may spill out drops of the living water wherever my feet may go. May I celebrate you.
*******************************************

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts,
and see if any wicked way is in me; and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home