0 muddy hands: gift giving

Monday, December 19

gift giving


Joy to the world. Love has come.
Quickly approaching us are the final pages to another year in the book of life. I’m pleased with the chapter of 2005. God has been tremendously gracious to us and overwhelmed us over and over with his love.
In just five days, we will all be receiving or giving gifts to our dear loved ones and the question that continues to bombard my mind is -- what really is the best gift to give or receive? What gift would anyone enjoy? What gift would satisfy when all others lose their newness and usability? You know the answer -- it is simple. Yes, real simple, but the hardest to give and receive at times. It is not cheap – it costs everything! We all want it and need it. The greatest gift is LOVE.
Love, as I understand it, means doing what is in the best interest of another, regardless of the cost to me. Read that sentence again and let it ruminate in your spirit for a moment or two.
The real spirit of Christmas is Love. God, the Father, sent his only son to be born of flesh and die a cruel death just for us. That is Love – doing what is in the best interest of another, regardless if the cost means death. That is Christmas.
As I have pondered the meaning of Christmas this year, I’ve had to ask myself – Am I really good at “gift giving”. Do I go out of my way for others? Do I allow my schedule to be interrupted to give love? Do I make myself available? Do I care about others more than myself? Do I give with no expectation of receiving? My prayer is that we all become better gift givers. I pray that when people see us coming, they are anxious to receive what we have to offer. May others see in us, the gift that keeps on giving. May we be on every party list, because they know we give the best gift. May we understand the sacrificial love that Christ gave to all who believe in him and never withhold giving him to others.
So if I might ask. How have you spent your Christmas season this year? Too Busy? Tired? Searching? Indulging? Depressed? Wishing for the season to hurry and end? Or have you been – Relaxed? Refreshed? Reflecting? Satisfied? And joyfully waiting for the day with hope that it would never end? My dear loved ones, it is not too late. We still have time to enjoy the celebration of Christmas. We still have time to give the best gift to others and receive the best gift ourselves!

*****************************************************
Daily may I remember the love that has been shown to me. Daily may I give that love to others. May others see Jesus in me. I desire to spill out the love of Christ to those around me. Help me Lord not to be selfish with your beautiful gift. Thank you for sending your son to die, so that I might live. Thank you for abundant life. You are all I could ever hope for.
*****************************************************

Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end.
Love never dies... 1 Cor. 13:4-8

1 Comments:

Blogger terrible speller said...

Don't you just love love? It's the best!

20.12.05

 

Post a Comment

<< Home